Saturday, November 08, 2008

Fairy Lake


No, really. My butt just doesn't cut it. I look at other people, and when they sit down, they have at least a little bit of padding. Not me. I've been told I got it from my dad. Who knows. All I know is that I spent an hour and a half (each way!) traveling to the Fairy Lake Botanical Garden on a Shenzhen city bus today, and I felt every bump on my little plastic seat. Those buses don't even brake for speed bumps or bodies, and I know I lost at least a little bit of bone on the ride out there. The whole way I kept thinking, "Hmm...If I could get some kind of 'gut-to-buttectomy' I'd be a happier man right now."

In any case, the botanical garden was a lovely experience. It was sort of like a giant state park, complete with trails, a fairy lake, lots of Chinese people, and one out of place Hoosier dude. I'm quite sure that I was the only westerner in the park today. It was a beautiful day to hike around -- right around 72 degrees with a steady breeze. Since the park is located up in the hills, it doesn't feel nearly as claustraphobic as the rest of Shenzhen. Today was one of those days where despite REALLY wanting to be with Erin & Grant at Chuck E. Cheese, my job didn't feel quite so bad.






Tomorrow I'm headed over to Window of the World. It should be equally entertaining.

No comments: