Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day

I showed up to vote, like I always do, at 5:50 in the morning. Several times, I have been the first voter in my district. With all the media hype, I thought I might be about 20 (dare I say, 30) people back, but nothing prepared me for the HUNDREDS of people in front of me.

I think voting, no matter your candidate of choice, is so important, so I was really excited, but as excited as I was, I was under-prepared for the frigid temps in my flip flops.

I love election night, but with Bret boarding a plane for China as I type this, I will be by myself tonight. But, don't worry. I am planning my own Election Night party complete with a sleeping toddler, leftovers and a bottle of wine. I'm going to watch those California (shout out to the mothership home state) come in, even if it takes until the wee hours of the morning.

Like Mommy, Grant is really into the election too. He identifies Barak Obama (which he says perfectly) and "Cain" (which he doesn't say perfectly) every time either is on the TV (which is a lot). But, when I ask him who he is voting for in the election, I get one of two results (clearly, he is an independent, bi-partisan voter who waits for all the info to come in before he casts his ballot): NeNe (my mom) or, as of late, birfmama (birthmama). He's been talking a lot about his birthmama, as we call her, lately, and I think he might be on to something. In the end, she'd be a great choice for president.

We'll see if she gets enough write-in votes to be a contender.

1 comment:

Alison said...

I showed up at 5:30 and certainly did not expect the line to be so long! It almost doubled by the time it was 6! Still, I was out of there by 6:40, so not too bad. It was the first election I followed and actually had a clue what I was voting for. A little bit sad, I know....I just didn't feel the conviction to vote until this year. Apparently, that was true for a lot of people!