Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Misunderstandings, Part 4


For several months now, Grant has been making a mistake in his language skills that Bret and I are unwilling to correct. We're not the grammar police, but I think there is a time and a place for teaching your kids the correct way to say and to do things, but here's the thing: Grant's mistake is both smart and cute, so I'm going to leave it for as long as I can.

You see, Grant has developed two new contractions. He says didn't, couldn't and other such common phrases. But, have you ever heard willn't and amn't? If you haven't, just stop by our house as Grant uses them constantly.

This is the how the conversation goes:

Mommy: Grant, you are funny.
Grant: No, I amn't.
Mommy: See, that's funny.

OR

Mommy: Grant, you will go to school tomorrow.
Grant: No, I willn't.

I think Grant's contraction construction shows real smarts. He obviously gets how to form a contraction, and he thinks these contraction rules can be applied to a variety of words. There's an innocence to his mistakes, as we all know that rules don't always make sense, shouldn't always apply, and aren't always fair.

No comments: