Thursday, April 16, 2009

One Good Thing; One Bad Thing


I realize that these Grant posts are only interesting to a few, as they are neither insightful nor funny, but we keep this blog as more of a baby journal, so... enough said.

Good thing: Potty training is a hit!
It took about a week in total, but Grant is completely potty trained (even through the night). After the first day, we had one terrible (almost made Mommy cry... okay, did make Mommy cry) accident that led to him (too much information is about to follow) smearing fecal matter around our kitchen with his feet. Yes, his feet. (As a side note, I was a second away from cutting the offending clothes off of him and throwing them away.) But, then, it's been smooth sailing. Really, really smooth sailing. Well, until today when I picked Grant up at school, and Grant's teacher informed me that the school might have to get new drywall after she tried to get Grant to stand to pee. He normally sits, but she didn't think his aim was much better while sitting, so she thought she'd try the standing approach. Urine soaked after a minute, she regretted her decision. I think Starbucks gift cards are in order for that saint of a teacher.

Bad thing: First real fall
Today has been gorgeous. We've been cooped up with unseasonably cold temps, so when the sunshine and nice temps made an appearance today, Grant and I headed for the neighborhood park. I encouraged Grant to try this ladder thingy, a thingy that is high and dangerous looking, but after he traversed it a dozen times without incident, my fears were placated. Then, of course, it happened. Grant fell from about six feet up, right onto his arm. I was surprisingly calm, calculating how long we'd be in the ER with a broken bone, half impressed that it happened before the age of 3. But, after a minute of hard crying, Grant looked up through tears and told me he wasn't "paying attention." A cut and scraped up arm, which Grant wore with pride the rest of the evening, is the only apparent battle wound. I was a little worried about a concussion, but after some very thorough--and no doubt incredibly accurate--Web MD internet searching, I think he'll make it.

1 comment:

Alison said...

You don't even want to hear about the poop stories in our house when Carolyn was potty training! OK-one. The girls were sharing a room. I found Sarah at one edge of her crib, crying. She couldn't go anywhere because her entire crib had been smeared with poop by her dear, sweet sister! I'm not sure how it all went down, but they got separate rooms after that! I'm putting off potty training Barrett as long as I can. I am NOT looking forward to it! I'm glad Grant took to it fairly quickly!