Monday, June 01, 2009

Surreal

Last night, Erin and I attended the "SpikeTV Guys Choice" awards. This might qualify as the most surreal night of my life, for any number of reasons. Since I can't really figure out a good way to interpret what I saw, I'll just provide some facts.

Fact: Mel Gibson did, in fact, ride in on a horse at the beginning of the show.

Fact: The waitresses wore black undergarments and open tuxedo shirts. Nothing else.

Fact: Ben Stiller, Halle Berry, Jaime Fox, Clint Eastwood, Clinton Tarantino, Robert Downy Jr., Mickey Rourke, Brad Pitt, and Ed Norton were all present.

Fact: Celebrities don't actually sit in their seats during these things. Apparently they are "placed" appropriately for when the camera shows them jumping up out of their seat to receive their award. Then they go home.

Fact: I was supposed to be in the green room backstage for part of the evening, but due to a change in security, I was not allowed back there.

Fact: I was the only person present wearing clothes from Target.

Fact: Erin was the only person there wearing clothes from Dress Barn.

Fact: At one point, there were more people surrounding our table who were NOT wearing pants than were.

It was a disturbing evening to say the least. Nothing in L.A. is real.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, my! Sounds like an interesting experience, to say the least!

Katherine said...

Hey . . I take offense to that last statement! What's more real than having breakfast at a diner called Dinah's with a bunch of relatives you don't know very well who are oohhing and aawwing over your son while eating giant portions of pancakes. Sounds all too midwest to me . . .glad someone in LA gave you something to talk about, though. Thoroughly entertaining post!