Friday, May 29, 2009

L.A. Trip Part, Like, Number One, Dude

Yes, yes, I'm a bad father. I sat in first class while my wife, kid, and mother-in-law sat in coach. I figured I'd just be a 3rd wheel with Erin and her mom, and Grant would sooner get vaccination shots than talk to me when NeNe (grandma) is around, so I sat in first class (but only on half the flight). I didn't feel guilty about the decision until I heard a familiar voice holler "My ears! My ears!" while we were landing. I dabbed the corners of my mouth with my cloth napkin and kindly asked the flight attendant to shut the curtain between us and coach so I wouldn't have to listen to that unruly youngster's cries. Guilt assuaged.

Upon arrival in Los Angeles, Erin took me on a brief tour of the area where she grew up. She always makes it sounds much worse than it really is, now that I've seen it. So when she tries to convince you that she used ta be a gansta, don't buy it. She's a white girl who now drives a Kia minivan.

We had a well above average dinner at Novecento Pasta & Grill in Culver City, close to our hotel. While we were hanging around waiting for the restaurant to open at 5pm, I encountered my first celebrity of the trip, none other than Dr. Rocket Romano from ER. I tried to get Erin to notice him, but she thought my nudge was directed at some poor Chinese lady trying to push her daughter along in a stroller. (Grace really does need to get her sooner than later...this is getting embarrassing.)

In any case, Paul McCrane had what I can only assume was his son with him, and they apparently were stopping for ice cream. He didn't seem to understand when I acted out the full scene where he gets his arm chopped off by the helicopter blade at County General, complete with slow motion screams. I was about to move into his role on "24" when Novecento finally opened.

After an exhausting travel day, I'm looking forward to going to work tomorrow. The "Guys Choice" awards honor such noble artistry as "Hottest Girl on the Planet" and "Deadliest Warrior." I'll take my camera...

No comments: