Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Packing List

Bret is in Hong Kong... safe and sound. Okay, well safe. He's of questionable mind and spirit. We skyped a few minutes ago, and even over the fuzzy computer picture, I could tell he was one tired pup.

Transition.

The China adoption community has been a real lifesaver for me over the years. There have been countless blogs read, countless emails shared, and many a tear cried together.

Bret can vouch that--since we have received our referral--I have gone into hyper-drive. I read countless blogs and listservs looking over packing lists, gift ideas and other's experiences in Nanchang and Guangzhou.

So, for the sake of future people like me, I am going to provide a detailed description of things that only matter to people in the China adoption community. I'm going to provide details no other human being on the planet will care a thing about, and I'm not kidding. I'm going to label these "China trip," and I'll make it clear in a post when I am moving from stuff family and friends might be interested in reading (or seeing; you know you only care about pictures) to the China adoption stuff (like how quickly prunes worked on Grace, how many blocks we walked to find a western toilet, and how much each and every purchase cost). This detail might prove interesting to Grace someday, but for now, I hope it helps one person who has yet to travel to China.

So, HERE IS THE TRANSITION TO BORING STUFF FOR EVERYONE BUT PEOPLE WHO ARE ADOPTING FROM CHINA:

We are packed and ready to go. Bret and I are both taking 4 outfits, two pairs of comfy shoes, a swimsuit, necessary toiletries (but not things like shampoo or lotion that we can buy there), and a "hotel room outfit" that consists of gym shorts and a shirt for just relaxing around the room. We plan on doing laundry daily if need be.

Here's the list for baby Grace (every outfit packed in its own ziplock bag):
8 outfits
1 sweater
2 pjs
Hair clips
5 Socks
1 Swimsuit
5 Swim Diapers
Hat
Sunscreen
2 Ultra thin blankets
2 Burp cloths
6 regular diapers
One thing of travel wipes
Changing Pad
Toys: stacking cups, book, mirror toy, inflatable ball
Teething gel
Baby Tylenol
Baby Advil
Baby Benadryl
Eating Bib
Teething Bibs
2 Bottles
2 Nipples
Soap cloths for washing bottles
Bottle brush
Baby Prunes
Puffs/Cherrios (one canister only)
Ergo carrier (BRET)
Thermos
Pacifier and hook
Formula divider
Sippy cup
2 Baby spoons
Steroid cream for skin infection/diaper rash
Thermometer
Baby shampoo
Nasal aspirator
Baby mucinex
Strap highchair
Extra Ziplock bags
Small diaper bag (purse)
Some stuff packed in Tupperware for use

All of Grace's stuff (except for the Ergo) fit in half of my suitcase. We assume we can buy anything else we need. If you have any questions about my packing list, do not hesitate to contact me. I'll let you know at the end of the trip if there were things I did not need or things I couldn't find (so wish I had packed).

Bret and I are each taking a rolling duffel like suitcase (that can be worn as a backpack too) and a carry-on backpack. We had lots of extra room in each, so we'll be able to bring home some goodies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin -

I'm Kimberly and I got my referral yesterday. I have been following y'all's blog since Grace's referral and am thrilled to see the packing list incredibly. Happy planning and know that I will be following in your footsteps. Thank you for taking time to do this!

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin
As someone who hasn't gotten their referral yet I appreciate your lists. I adore your blog and look forward to hearing about your adventures. I am sure Grant will be a terrific big brother. My mother is in China now teaching English to some teachers at one of the universities and she has been sharing the same comments about the food that Bret posted - she was way turned off by the eyelashes on the pig....safe travels. - Shannon