Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Update #4: Facebook

Yesterday, I threw away four file cabinet drawers that were full of school materials that I had collected and created over the last ten years as an English teacher at the best school in the state of Indiana.

I loved my job. I loved teaching. I adore high school students. I love reading and writing, and every day, I couldn't get over the fact that someone actually paid me to talk to kids about books. It was a dream job.

But, on Tuesday, I turned in my keys. And as I start this next chapter of my life, I am ecstatic. Teaching is not a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. Being with my kids for the next few years--that's priceless.

I'm sure there will be days when I will crave and miss teaching. I'll miss students, great conversations, being challenged, but right now, I'll love the play-do sessions and afternoon dance parties more. I'd rather eat rice and beans than miss this time.

But, that leads me to the point of this post. Even though I said I would NEVER do it (see HERE), I'm going to start. I have no intention of EVER (might eat those words too) posting a status update, but you see, the young folk of today only keep in touch via texting and facebook. So, if I plan on keeping connected with the ten-plus years of students I've had, I have no other choice than to open a facebook account. I'm just doing it for the kids.

Like always.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I give it a week before you post your first status update. Haha welcome to the cult.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to be friends! :)

Delaine said...

Erin, I know exactly what you are saying. I taught at the best high school in my city, had the upper level kids, the best classroom with a window (you know how important that is!!), and I was dept. head with a great planning schedule. I gave it all up when Caroline was born 10 years ago. I was sad too, but I could not imagine someone else raising my children. They grow up way too fast!! See you soon!! Delaine

Alison said...

Will you be my friend? I'll be anxiously waiting for an "accept!" ;-)