Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I Need Some Shirts

One of the things we cherish about this blog is that it gives us an easy way to go back and look at our vacations, family events, and where we've eaten over the past five or six years. Unfortunately it also highlights the fact that I never buy clothes.

I've always sort of prided myself on wearing things until they crawl out of my closet on their own, begging for the sweat relief that Goodwill will bring. But perhaps I've taken this too far. As I've been job hunting, I've been considering that when I eventually start a new career, I should probably go out and buy some new clothes.

I mentioned this to Erin, and she agreed that this was probably a good idea. As we had this conversation, I took note of the fact that I was wearing a "Senor Frog's" t-shirt that my in-laws picked up in the Caribbean on a cruise. I think the cruise was about five years ago, but the shirt has held up well, it's comfortable, and I wear it a lot. Perhaps too much.

I began looking through pictures on the blog, and I discovered that this shirt has gotten around. It made an appearance just a couple of months ago in this post while watching Grant's swim lessons.

It made several appearances in this post when we went to Williamsburg last year

It was with me in this post when we came back from China with Grace...

It was one of the three shirts I wore during the whole adoption trip in China, as seen in this post...

...on the train across China...

At IKEA in Cincinnati with Grant...

On vacation in this post two years ago...

As a pirate on our cruise three years ago...

Anyway, you get the point. Amazingly this shirt hasn't yet begun to dissolve. But I'm pretty sure I caught it trying to hitchhike out of our driveway a few days ago.

3 comments:

BillyRay said...

Don't worry Bret - Billy's right there with ya! I would venture to say that at least 1/3 of his closet is from somewhere near high school! lol

Katherine said...

Next time relatives that are apt to purchase a gift for you I suggest you recommend that they buy a VERY CHEAP shirt - one that won't last quite so long! On the other hand as an avid "Bret Blog Reader" - I had never noticed the frequency in which you don the same attire - thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Alison said...

It must be a guy thing! Steve has had some of the same t-shirts for a VERY long time! We have a reunion every year, and not purposely, he has the same t-shirt on in every photo each year!
May I suggest Value World for when you need new work clothes. Steve has a lot of luck there with shirts, pants and ties. We always check their first before going somewhere else.