Monday, July 26, 2010

WWJD Goes Kung Fu

On the way home from our reunion visit with our fellow adoptive parents from China, Grant inquired as to whether Jesus wears any clothes. Erin informed him that Jesus wears flowing white robes.

"Does he do karate in them?"

Ah, Grant. One does take a certain amount of comfort in knowing that the Savior of the world could unleash a flurry of hand chops and spinning heel kicks if the situation deemed it appropriate.

So this past weekend was spent in Cincinnati with several of the families that traveled with us to China to pickup Grace last August. We really did have a fantastic time, and I know it will be good for Grace to have these friends with whom she shares a special piece of her past as she gets older. Plus Erin and I have enjoyed becoming closer with some of our friends from the trip as well.

Grant, as always, was in seventh heaven ("the dojo") with so many little girls around. We spent a large portion of the weekend explaining to him that he couldn't hang on, touch, caress, or court every young lady with whom he comes into contact. This greatly irritated him, but didn't slow him down.

Over the course of the weekend we visited the Newport Aquarium and the Cincinnati Children's Museum. The Children's Museum is housed in the former Union Terminal train station in downtown Cincy. The building was constructed in 1933, and I greatly enjoyed the history of the facility and its art deco interior. We originally had intended to visit the zoo on Saturday, but given that it was about six degrees above the point where the human body begins to cook itself, we decided to do the museum instead. Good choice. I perfer my heart beating, rather than scrambled with ham.

While visiting the museum, a gentlemen mumbled "Boiler Up!" as he walked past, a nod to my t-shirt proclaiming "Purdue Athletics" -- slightly stretched across my beer gut so it looked a bit more like "Purdue Attttthhhhhhhhll..." I turned and saw a slightly frazzled guy in bike shorts amongst the other museum patrons. I mumbled, "Yeah" in return, wishing that at some point the stereotype of Purdue having a 40000:2 boy/girl ratio would break down.

Does this happen with people from other universities? Do Ohio State fans mumble "Go Buckeyes" at each other? (I've shouted something similar at poorly driven vehicles on the road before.) Perhaps I should take pride that my fellow alums are so quick to take note of each other. I guess the part of me that feels like my college years were a little rough in a lot of ways doesn't miss Purdue enough to want to relive the memories with a total stranger. Apparently the other 39,999 men from my graduating class feel differently.

Here are a few pictures from the reunion:

I especially like the low flying plane in the background of this one...



In other news, my job situation is progressing. I should have more definitive things to talk about on that front next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you that whenever I yell "O-H" in front of a Buckeye, I get an "I-O" in return. I really only do this to amuse myself given I went to Butler.

Madeline & Andy said...

I haven't laughed that hard in a while :) LOVE Grant and his outlook on life, love and religion!!!

We had a great time and can't wait to get the kids together again!!!