Thursday, August 05, 2010

Employment

As most of you probably know, I was laid off back in May from my job in the consumer electronics industry. It wasn't totally unexpected, and it wasn't an all bad thing. I had worked in basically the same company (under various guises) for 15 years, and it was time to make a change.

Additionally, we decided earlier in the year that Erin would not teach in the coming school year, instead choosing to stay home with the kids (which will result, no doubt, in a slightly slower, but no less complete, drain on her sanity). Therefore we've been living the past few months in a state of unemployed bliss, choosing to spend time traveling and enjoying the summer as a family.

But fortunately, our condition is coming to an end on Monday morning. I've taken a new job with a small (15 people) software company here in Indy. They make software products to automate various human resource tasks for school districts. My position will primarily involve providing support to the various schools once they've purchased the products, including providing training and looking for further enhancements to the product line.

I really couldn't be more excited about the position, and we feel extremely blessed that I was able to find employment quickly in the current economic climate. The job will give me the opportunity to work directly with customers, travel a little bit domestically, and expand on what limited skills I possess.

So come Monday morning, I'll be dragging out of bed early to head into work, while Erin begins her first year home with the kids. Say a little prayer for both of us. We're going to need it.

4 comments:

haffpint said...

That's the update I keep looking for! Not that I don't love the pics of your kids and the funny stories, but congrats, Bret! That is AWESOME news. :) Yay, for staying in Indy, too!

PS: Erin, send me an email address for you so we can keep in touch!

Katherine said...

So happy that your job was secured so quickly and glad to that Indy will be your home - happy Monday and good luck on the new JOB - although after being home all summer with my two I do think Erin may have the tougher assignment!

Katherine said...

Andrea says ...
I just want to say hi to all of you guys. I hope you and your family had a GREAT summer. My brother and dad say hi. Tell Grant and Grace I hope you have a fun time with your mommy. Bret, i hope you like your new J O B!!!

Amy said...

Congrats on the job guys, that's great! God Bless :)