Sunday, December 05, 2010

Our little reader...


Grant has started reading! And, we couldn't be more excited. Bret and I both love to read, and so the thought of Grant entering the reading world is dreamy. He's working on all his three letter words right now, and he's a pro. I have to send a shout out to my cousin Kathy, who used to teach Kindergarten. She sent me her stash of videos when she left teaching (to stay home with two of her own smarty-pants kids), and there in her mega stash was the video that started all of this for Grant. If your preschooler likes TV and does not yet own the Leap Frog Letter Factory, go buy it now. Grant learned his letter sounds about 8 months ago, and we've been working on sounding out words for a month or so now, but this last week, something clicked.

Tomorrow: off to the library to get him some of his own reading books!

2 comments:

Katherine said...

The best feeling a teacher ever gets is the day that child reads and for a mom - impossible to put into words. It creates a whole new world for them! Did I send you the next DVDs - Word factory and Storybook Factory??? They are great for when they get those sounds mastered! I knew that kid was cerebral - GO GRANT!
Happy Reading!!

side of fries said...

You sure did give us those too! Grant has graduated to the Word factory, which I think he really enjoys now that he can read the words. It's just amazing to me! Thanks so much for the dvds. They obviously had a huge impact on Grant... now, on to Grace (who isn't remotely interested in TV)!