Friday, August 02, 2013

God and Adoption

There isn't a day where I don't stand in amazement about how God formed our family. There is no way to describe fully to someone who has not walked the adoption road--how someone "not yours" originally--belongs to you, was meant to be yours.

There is no stronger evidence of God's love than the idea of adoption.  It's the whole gospel message narrowed down to one word.  I was outside of God's family, living in rebellion.  And, then, because of the love of God and the work of Christ, I am miraculously inside God's family--an heir, a child, a part of a family. People often confuse Christianity with a bunch of rules and expectations, partly because the western church has done them a disservice.  Christianity is an adoption story at its deepest core.

I have been thinking of these things this morning, on the fourth anniversary of first holding Grace MinWei.  Nothing could have prepared me for the love I have for her.  Nothing could have prepared me for this amazing, unforgettable life we are living as a family.  Nothing could have prepared me for both the twinge of pain and the gush of pride at hearing Grant tell me how he handled someone telling him yesterday that "Grace isn't really your sister."

Grant knows, even if he doesn't have all the words to express it.  He knows deep down.  He knows, partly because we have talked about and partly because it's hard wired into each of our souls.  He knows that being "blood related" has nothing to do with being family.  He knows it has nothing to do with love.  He knows that God invented adoption, sanctioned it, practiced it, perfected it.  

He knows God brought us together... into one perfect, crazy, amazing family.  Thank God!

Grace Four Years Ago in China












No comments: