Wednesday, August 19, 2015

September's Challenge--The Art of Saving

This summer was our big trip out west, and I had prepped, planned and saved for that trip for some time.  It was a GREAT trip!

But, we also realized that we had to use a week at a condo in 2015, so last month, Bret and I had to find some place else to go in 2015.  Woe is me, right?

But, we know we're not going to have a ton of money to spend on this second trip... so I need to save an extra $500 to make it happen.  The cost of the gas will already be covered (gas is so cheap now, I could do budget cheerleading moves about it); our great condo is covered, but that $508 price tag to get a family of five into the Magic Kingdom for one day is looming in front of me!

So, my goal this month is to save $500 IN ADDITION to what I am already saving.  I need this money to be "extra," or I can't justify spending it on a second vacation. I already save money each month, but that savings has a purpose: retirement, a bigger emergency fund, college accounts the kids, or our next car--so this needs to be on top of all of that!

For me, there are two budget categories that stick out the most as a possibility for reduction for the month: Entertainment (which includes eating out) and Household (which for us is clothes, groceries, household products, etc).  Additionally, I will try to sell some stuff on Craigslist to make it happen.

So, how about you join me?  Couldn't you use some extra money in the bank?  Maybe $500 is just too steep for your personal situation and your personal budget?  Maybe you don't really have that kind of wiggle room... I get it!  I bet you can, however, come up with a number that makes sense for you.  It's got to be big enough that it hurts a bit... changes your habits at the grocery store or the food court (or lack thereof), but it also has to be doable.

For me, $500 is the sweet spot.  It's enough of a change that it's going to take daily (if not moment by moment) intentional decision making (and a month of meals of rice and beans), but it's also by no means impossible.

If you need help thinking through this or setting up a budget, let me know.  I simply LOVE talking about and planning budgets--sticking to them is a whole lot less fun! ;)

No comments: