Friday, November 09, 2007

Mind Melt

A few days ago, Erin posted about my cunning ability to beat her at Jeopardy these days, and she made the assumption that this was due to her "getting dumber." (One must put such a statement about one's spouse in quotes, as to protect oneself against future liabilities.)

As I've basked in the glory of my Jeopardy wins and my brainful of completely useless music trivia, I've come to realize that she may be on to something. I'm finding that I too am doing many things which are leading me to the conclusion that I'm well past the peak of my cranial powers. Here are a few fleething thoughts:

1. While driving around Indianapolis, a city I've lived in virtually my whole life, I frequently find myself looking up and suddenly thinking, "Hey, I'm driving here. Where the heck am I?" as though I've just been awakened from a long, satisfying nap.

2. When I remove the dryer lint trap, I occasionally say outloud, "Now how does this go back in there?"

3. I repeatedly put Grant's diapers on backwards. This leaves Grant very annoyed and prone to peeing on me when given the opportunity.

4. Someone at work came to me with a piece of computer hardware and an accompanying question, and I had no idea what the part he was holding even was, let alone how to fix it. (For those who know me, this is really horrifying to me. I'm a computer engineer by trade and degree, for crying out loud!)

5. I had some level of difficulty reprogramming our clocks following the switch out of Daylight Savings Time. Some of the problems involved my inability to figure out how to actually reset the clocks. Some of the problems involved me just being able to hold onto the clocks.

6. I hear songs on my iPod that I've owned for over 10 years, and I think, "Gee. That's catchy. I wonder who put that on there."

7. I got dressed for work this morning, and as I left the bedroom with laptop in hand, I realized I'd forgotten to shave. I shave every morning, almost without fail.

8. Some mornings I'm awakened by Grant's cries, and I think "Who the heck is making that racket?"

I'd like to make it known that Erin is continuing to show signs of dimensia as well, although in her case, I think her California upbringing had something to do with her difficulties (I should probably just apologize in advance to our West Coast family). Last night we volunteered to do some painting at the building our church is rehabbing and planning to move into. We were to be there from 6pm-8pm. When we arrived, Erin declared that she was very cold.

I looked down at her feet and she was wearing a pair of flip flops. Not the nice leather kind, or a full pair of sandals even, just good old rubber, beach flip flops.

Now keep in mind that a) this is an active construction site covered with sharp objects with a keen eye for the sole of one's feet and b) it was about 40 degrees here in Central Indiana at 6pm last night. Such a mistake in judgment can only be attributed to a California upbringing or the slow loss of one's mind.

I thought of a lot more things for this post on the way to work this morning, but I've since forgotten them. Perhaps when I remember my ideas, I'll be able to race back to my desk and do a second post about this...if I'm quick.

No comments: