Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Life of a Mother

I knew it would happen eventually. Every mother warns you that it will happen, so it didn't quite sneak up on me, but still the same, it marked a moment in time when you realize what exactly being Mommy to Grant means.

The other night, Grant did something he never had done prior. He pooped in the tub. Bret was watching Grant play as I put away clothes, and I heard Bret squeal. Upon my hasty return to the tub, I saw several "pieces" floating in the tub. Bret's exact words at this moment: "I'm out of here."

I couldn't keep Grant in the tub, but I couldn't trust him to stand by, dripping wet, as I cleaned out and disinfected the tub. So, I moved him to the tub in the master bedroom, put some warm water in it, ordered Bret to stand watch, and I returned to Grant's bathroom to clean. Not fun.

But as luck would have it, I heard another squeal. Grant decided to do another "big job" in the second tub.

It was a long night: another parenting hurdle crossed.

3 comments:

bryna said...

Laugh out loud funny Erin! I am not looking forward to it, but Im sure my day will come too!

christina said...

I'm telling you Erin, Lauren did that from infancy till she was potty trained- almost everytime! NOT FUN!

Katherine said...

ofawfulPlease tell me they outgrow that by the time they are 4 - otherwise we're in trouble! I don't think up to that task!